Inside: A review of My Mom is a Firefighter plus TONS of great activities to go with it.
Fire Safety Month is almost here and I like to do a few lessons with my Grade 1s using this great book! Be sure to read through to the end because I have lots of great freebie activities and links for you.
Title: My Mom is a Firefighter
Author: Lois G. Grambling
Illustrator: Jane Manning
Publisher: Scholastic Inc., 2007
Topic/Theme: Firefighting, Occupations, Family, Fire Safety
My mom is a firefighter. I’m her son. My name is Billy. Mom says she has two families.
Billy tells the story of his “at home” family and his firehouse uncles. We learn all about his mom’s job and fire-safety. It’s no surprise to find out that Billy wants to grow up to be just like his mom.
Why I Like This Book:
I like it, not so much for the writing (it’s fairly ordinary) but because it touches on so many perfect themes including gender equality in the workplace and family.
You get both the songs and a second version of “Get Out” with all the “out” words missing (that’s one of our sight words next week, so the kids will be filling in the missing words).
2. The other thing I like to do is have the kids rebuild the poems in the pocket chart. So if you click on the next image, you’ll get a larger version of “Get Out” and “Stop, Drop and Roll”. I’ve printed mine on heavy stock paper, cut and laminated them. Please note, the large version of “Get Out” only includes the first verse.
3. You can get this very cute Stop Drop and Roll math game from Lory’s Page.
4. This writing template came from my very good friend, Bev. We taught together for years and I still miss her! But lucky for me, she comes in and teaches for me when I’m sick 🙂
5. Kathy Rose on TpT has a 37-page fire safety unit for FREE. You’ll definitely want to check that out.
6. Amanda, from First Grade Garden, has this really cute fire safety booklet in the shape of a fire hydrant. Be sure to visit her and grab that freebie. I did it last year and the kids and I loved it.
7. We’re going to make firetruck treats with graham wafers and Oreos from Taste of Home. They look so yummy!
8. The Sparky website has lots of colouring sheets, mazes and other fun activities you can print out.
Check out all my book reviews for kids!
MORE Fire Safety Posts!