Over the course of this last year I’ve been making lots and lots of paper bag puppets.
I have 45 different puppets and bundles to choose from now.
HOW TO USE THE PAPER BAG PUPPETS IN YOUR CLASSROOM
A LOT of primary teachers are buying these because they’re such a fun, easy, and almost-no-prep activity. Honestly, the only prep is gathering up glue, scissors, paper bags, and then printing the puppet templates.
They’re wonderful for independent centres (not a typo – I’m Canadian :)) as well as inspiration for story writing, retelling of favourite books, and kick-starting imaginative play.
Some of the puppet sets (i.e., all the Halloween bundles) include matching papers (lined and unlined) that can be glued onto the back of the puppet. Your kiddos could use the papers for poems, jokes or fun facts about their puppet.
BENEFITS OF USING PUPPETS IN THE CLASSROOM
1. Puppets are a good visual representation when singing and storytelling
2. Puppets help children retain information through repetitive retellings with their puppet
3. Children can practice their oral speaking skills while retelling stories to or through their puppet
4. Puppets help motivate children and create a playful mood in the classroom
5. A puppet is a wonderful prop to help a shy child speak in front of a group
6. Puppets can help children explore their feelings as the puppets interact while displaying a variety of emotions (e.g., happy, angry, upset, jealous, etc.)
7. Putting on puppet shows helps to build self-confidence
8. Creative and imaginative thinking is encouraged during both the creation and play phases
HERE ARE SOME OF MY NEWEST PAPER BAG PUPPETS
Aren’t they adorable?
If you’d like to grab a set of paper bag puppets for yourself just click on any one of the images
Thanks for stopping by and happy puppet making!
PS I have a few more puppet posts here.