School just started for us here in Canada (this is just the second week) but I’ve already had several days of subbing.
I was filling in for a relief teacher which meant I had all sorts of different classes and different grades throughout the day.
We ended up reading lots of stories, playing some fun indoor games and having gym classes.
Today I want to share with you a “new to me” tag game.
It’s called “Rock, Paper, Scissors Tag”.
When I got home I looked it up online to see how popular it is. I got lots of hits but all the games I looked at were played much differently than the version the kids taught me.
ROCK, PAPER, SCISSORS TAG
A whole bunch of energetic kids who already know how to play Rock, Paper, Scissors. I think this game would work with Grade 2s up to Grade 10, although I played it with a Grade 3/4 class.
- Ensure that everyone knows how to play Rock, Paper, Scissors.
- Everyone is “It”.
- On “go” the kids run around the gym or designated outdoor play area and try and tag each other.
- When one child has tagged another, both kids stop running and play a quick game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. The person (A) who loses the game sits down. The person (B) who won the game keeps running.
- A sits on the floor or grass and carefully watches B. As soon as B loses a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors and sits down, then A can jump up again and play.
- If the teacher sees that there are too many kids sitting down he/she just yells, “Rock, Paper, Scissors” and everyone jumps back up and starts running around again.
Why I Recommend This Game:
- Every single child LOVED playing this tag game — engagement was extremely high.
- There’s a good balance of running and rest. Hardly anyone was sitting for very long.
- The kids who were sitting had to be alert (no daydreaming here) to know when it was their turn to jump back up,
- The game was fast moving with some great vibes — no whining or complaining whatsoever!
I hope you give the game a try.
PS I’d LOVE to hear in the comments what your favourite gym game is!