Inside: Book review of Yoga Bunny and 5 wonderful book-related activities
How did I managed to miss Yoga Bunny when it first came out?
I noticed it yesterday when I was subbing in a friend’s library and it jumped right out at me. All I could think was “Darn, I wish I’d used this book with my last Grade 1 class!”
Bunny is doing some yoga poses in his woodland home. He tries to get his friends Lizard, Bird and Fox to join in, but alas, no one is in the mood. Lizard is too tired, Fox is in a rush and Bird has the hiccups! Eventually, however, they all come around and enjoy doing the last few poses with Bunny.
One morning, Bunny crawled out of his hole, rubbed his eyes, and let out a big YAWN! “This is a perfect morning to do yoga!” he said.
Why I Love This Book
I’m a big fan of yoga and while I don’t go to classes I’ve been practicing it since I was 16 years old! But more importantly, I’ve noticed over the last few years that my students really enjoy short yoga breaks throughout the day and it ALWAYS brings some calm back into the classroom.
I love the sweet and simple illustrations. Russo used watercolour, coloured pencils and photoshop to create these charming pictures. They work perfectly with the lovely story line.
The last page also includes a whole bunch of additional yoga poses.
Book Related Activities:
- Do the poses! They could be done during the reading of the book or after!
- The author has a free set of yoga bunny cards on Teachers Pay Teachers. These would be perfect to use at home or at school when calming breaks are needed.
- The publisher has a coloured sheet of instructions for five different poses, plus a sweet worksheet for kids to draw a picture of whatever helps them to relax. After you click on the link you need to click on “more” and “teaching tools” to find the sheets.
- If your kids are inspired to draw bunnies after reading this book there are lots of great tutorials out there. Here’s one of them.
- Here’s a book trailer that your kids might enjoy.
I’m also linking up with Susanna Hill for Perfect Picture Book Friday where you can find more great books for kids.