Learning About Respect in First Grade

I’m linking up with Maria’s “Make a Difference Monday“.  On the first Monday of each month, Maria is collecting a variety of ideas for teaching children about character traits. April was all about Empathy, and this month is Respect.

Last night, when Maria invited me to join I decided I might as well jump right in and teach a Monday morning lesson on respect.

First I introduced the children to this book, Do Unto Otters:

Do Unto Otters: Learning about respect and kindness

Mr. Rabbit is concerned about whether or not his new neighbours, the Otters, are going to be friendly. Mr. Owl tells him not to worry, all he has to remember is: “Do unto Otters as you would have Otters do unto you!”

I had to explain the play on words to my class, and most of them weren’t very familiar with the Golden Rule, so we talked about that for awhile, too.

They loved the book (it’s very simple but witty) and even clapped when I finished reading it!

Then we made a t-chart showing what respect looks like and sounds like.

Respect Chart: Looks Like & Sounds Like

Tomorrow I’m going to follow up the lesson with this book, My Name is Elizabeth, which also deals with respecting others.

This is a sweet story about a little girl who does not like being called Betsy, Liz, Lizzy or any other version of Elizabeth. She politely insists on being called Elizabeth, and happily, everyone respects her request and does exactly that (well, almost everyone)!

Be sure to click on the “Be the Difference” button above if you’d like to read more ideas OR join in yourself.

JOIN THE NEWSLETTER! NEVER MISS FREEBIES & UPDATES

23 thoughts on “Learning About Respect in First Grade”

1. YAY for you – congrats and thanks for linking up. We LOVE the Otter book!!! Absolutely a RIOT!On another note, I've got a teacher at my school who wants to start a blog and I told her about your designs because she wants a CUTESY one . . . she's coming to my training on June 20th so I may have a customer for you!Barbara

2. Congratulations!I love when I throw out a pun (Do Unto Otters) and you can hear crickets…and the I have to explain it and sometimes I think a few of them laugh because they feel sorry for me….Is this thing on???

3. Thank you so much for linking up! I love, love LOVE that you ran with it and taught a mini lesson this MORNING! Now THAT'S what I call Making a Difference!!!!

4. You totally deserve this nomination. You really are fascinating. I learn from you all the time.I swear I was just about to start doing that First Monday linky as well. It's like we are the same person sometimes, except I'm not as fascinating. 🙂 Kimberley

5. I am your newest member. Love!!! your blog design. Love to read about another playbased program on the island. My Kinders are block crazy this month, what are your kinders excited about.Liz 🙂

6. You totally deserve that nomination. I love your posts!I have been focussing on Respect for sometime now (challenging class – several children have limited respect (a polite way of saying NO respect)).

7. Ha ha, I'm glad you think I'm fascinating 🙂 But I can say the same about you ~ I always take something valuable away from your blog.I hope you join the “Make a Difference Monday”!

8. Hi Liz! Thanks! I'm not sure I'm really play-based, but I'd definitely like to work more towards that. My class is currently “straw” crazy. I think that's what you call those things 🙂

9. Great book tips, and I am definitely going to join in on 'Being the difference.' We do Character Counts at my school and it sounds like these ideas could go along very well with it! Thank you! ~Heidi V.PS I absolutely adore your banner, or whatever it's called with the blog's name and logo. The tree is precious! I would love a full sized mural of that in my classroom or my future child's room…anyways, just wanted to let you know I love it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us through your blog.