Inside: Splat the Cat artworks and a free pdf download for Splat the Cat story elements.
Splat the Cat is one of my favourite book characters. My students love him, too!
So when I came across this art activity I couldn’t resist.
I was SO pleased with the kids’ Splat the Cat pictures. It was lots of fun and not too hard. Don’t you just love the little pink tongue and the crazy googly eyes? They crack me up!
I followed a tutorial when we did these, but for the life of me I can’t remember where I got it since I’m updating this post 7 years later!
How to Make these Splat the Cat Paintings:
- Using a picture of Splat from one of the books, take your students through a directed drawing. If your drawing skills are a little wobbly practice ahead of time.
- Paint Splat with black tempera paint (as seen below) except for the face, stomach and inside the ears.
- Paint the face, stomach and inside the ears a very pale (almost white) paint.
- While the paint is still wet encourage your little artists to “fluff” out the edges so that it resembles fur.
- When the paint is dry rub white chalk on his face and pink chalk on his stomach.
- Add some more pink chalk to his mouth and tongue.
- Glue on googly eyes.
- Give your students scraps of wallpaper (from old wallpaper books) to cut out Splat’s various school supplies, then glue into place. Depending on the age of your children you may want to give them school supplies tracers to make this step easier.
That’s it! Your beautiful Splat is complete.
Splat the Cat Story Elements
I created a 10-page pdf file which includes the sheet below. Each printable features a different book title.
We used it to think about the story’s beginning, middle and end, the characters, and the setting. There’s also a spot where your students can rate the book.
Doan really liked this book and gave it 5 fish candies!
DOWNLOAD: Splat the Cat Story Elements
Looking for some Splat books to add to your own collection? You might like the one below. Just click on the image.
Thanks for stopping by!