I heard about this game a gazillion years ago. One of the many fabulous teachers in my district passed this on at a meeting. I've modified it very slightly.
We played it last week and the kids had a blast! Seriously, they were very excited (in a controlled way) and had LOTS of number printing practice.
Name: Pass the Pencil
Learning Objective: To practice printing the digits from 0 to 9.
Game Objective: To be the first person to fill the recording sheet.
1. Form groups of 3 to 5 people.
2. Everyone receives a recording sheet.
3. The group receives one die and one pencil to share.
4. The first person rolls the die. If they roll a 1 or 6, they quickly start printing the digits on the recording sheet.
5. While they are printing the next person rolls the die. If they roll a 1 or 6 they yell "stop" and the person printing has to "pass the pencil" so that the new person can start printing.
6. The die is passed and rolled around the group. If a 2, 3, 4 or 5 is rolled that player loses their turn and the die is passed on.
7. When someone rolls a 1 or 6 for a second (or third or fourth ... ) time, they continue printing digits from where they left off.
1. Print the game on both sides of the sheet and play until someone fills BOTH sides.
2. Modify the game to practice printing letters or colour words or sight words or ..... (use your imagination)
You can grab the sheet by clicking on the image.
If you like this blog or grabbed this game "PRETTY PLEASE with sugar on top" follow me (I am so not above begging, as you can see :)). I'm very close to 500 followers. I had 490 this morning and then ~ GASP ~ someone unfollowed me and it dropped to 489!! I am seriously crushed. Can you see the tears rolling down my face?
When I reach 500 followers I will have a Happy Dance Giveaway. I don't have a TpT store so it will probably be along the lines of a gift certificate. And if you would like to build up your following and want to participate by donating a little gift, I will not turn you down :))
Take care and happy blogging!
I've received a few comments about my instructions -- ha ha. I'll try to clarify ... but honestly, it's very easy to play :))
Everyone takes turns rolling the dice. If you roll a 1 or 6, then you pick up the pencil and start printing the numbers on the sheet. So you would print 0, 1, 2, .... 7, 8, 9 then start over on the next line from 0 again. While you are printing the rest of the group is still rolling the dice. The person printing continues printing until someone else rolls a 1 or a 6. That someone else yells stop, takes the pencil and starts printing numbers from 0 to 9. Now you are rolling the dice with the rest of the group.
When you roll a 1 or 6 again, you start printing from where you left off.
Hope this helps!