I LOVE teaching geometry. There are so many fun activities you can do with Grade Ones. And they don't even realize they're doing math. It's all just fun and games!
Here's what we've been up to.
These monster shapes were SO much fun to make. I got the idea from Em at Curious Firsties and only changed it up a little bit.
It's essentially a listening exercise combined with 2D and 3D shape identification, all rolled into a cute craft.
- coloured cardstock
- large circle tracers
- pre-cut rectangular legs
- Hershey Kisses
- pom poms
- mini marshmallows
- sponges pre-cut into cubes
- Trace a large circle on your coloured paper and cut out
- Put your name on the back
- Draw a half circle on the bottom of the large circle
- Outline the half circle in black
- Glue a cone in the middle of the large circle
- Trace 3 circles using your glue stick as a tracer and cut out
- Walk around the room and trade your little circles for other colours so they do not match your big circle
- Glue the 3 circles above the cone
- Glue a sphere on each little circle
- Glue the cylinders in the half circle
- Glue the long rectangles on the back of the large circle, underneath the half circle
- Glue the cubes onto the bottom of the long rectangles
And voila! The cutest little shape monsters. My kids LOVED them!
Building cubes, rectangular prisms, and pyramids using toothpicks and mini marshmallows is an oldie but a goldie.
I love how some of the kids took their 3D shapes and combined them into these glorious structures!
These 3D castles were also extremely popular and bonus ... they fit in nicely with our fairytale unit.
I can't share the template for these just yet as they were part of a package that I'm testing out for Ellen from Create in the Chaos. But as soon as I get the go-ahead I'll update this post and give you the direct link to her product.
It's a really cool set of fun, crafty, easy printables for primary kids.
That's it for now!
Do you have a favourite geometry lesson? I'd love to hear about it.
Here are some more geometry activities I've pinned.